Welcome to the website for Ellesmere Rural Parish Council (ERPC)
Ellesmere Rural consists of villages and hamlets that make up the northern and western hinterland of Ellesmere Town as far as the Welsh border. The landscape is typical rolling English countryside, with woodland, copse, brooks and streams, sculptured and shaped by years of agriculture.
The area is part of the famous Shropshire Lake District with its nine glacial Meres. The Shropshire Union Canal, much loved by walkers and tourists, runs through part of the Parish. There are three beautiful churches at Criftins, Welsh Frankton and Dudleston, the latter being the former Parish church which dates back to the first millennium.
Although the area is predominantly rural, there are almost 1000 households mainly clustered around Dudleston Heath, Criftins, Welsh Frankton and Tetchill.
About Ellesmere Rural Council
The Ellesmere Rural Parish Council is composed of twelve Councillors. The Parish Council area is divided into four Wards for the election of Parish Councillors - Dudleston (4 Councillors), Dudleston Heath (4 Councillors), Welsh Frankton (2 Councillors), Tetchill (2 Councillors). The whole Council is elected every four years and the next elections will take place in May 2017. The work of the Council is organised by the Parish Clerk who is the only paid employee of the Council and is the responsible and accountable officer for the conduct of its business and finances.
The Council's Parish Plan, published in October 2004, contains detailed information about the area, its history, the views of local people and priorities for the local community.
To download a copy of the Parish Plan please follow the link to the left of this page.
A review of the Parish Plan is planned to be undertaken shortly in order to enable the Parish Council to publish an updated plan.