The Town Hall
Prior to the begining of the nineteenth century, the present centre would have been a marshy area not much built on. The Old Town Hall was given to Ellesmere in the early 1830's by the Countess of Bridgewater, and is reputed to be built on piles driven thirty feet into peat of the former mere bed. The ground floor was originally open and housed the town's general market, later moved up Scotland Street to the Victorian Market Hall. The Town Hall has a fine assembly room on the first floorDuring its life, it has housed the Mechanics Institute, the Town Museum, and the cinema. It was abandoned by local government in the reorganisation of 1966. It is now an Estate Agents.